Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mary, Full of Grace

I found some pictures from a photo shoot I did a couple of years ago. I don’t remember what it was for and I don’t know whatever came of the pictures. I must have been drinking that day. My memory of the shoot itself is blurry. Interestingly, I remember a guy had set up his massage table on the deck of the house where we were shooting; he was a student and was hoping for some hours toward his license.

I’m studying myself in the pictures. I’m done up in black velvet and turquoise jewelry with lots of silver and a flowy long skirt – the quintessential (and stereotypical) Southwestern “look.” I’m thankful my hair is not up in the Hopi-style cabbage buns. I don't wear the Princess Leia look very well, a notable exception being the look she had as Jabba the Hutt’s slave…

I wonder what I was thinking. I am smiling, but I can see that the smile is forced, put on for show; it is stretched into more of a grimace. In those pictures where I imagine I was directed to look pensive, I look fearful, wary. Not of the photographer, but of life.

I’m glad that these days are not those. I don’t know what ever happened to those photos, or if they were ever published. I don't even recall whether or not I got paid. If whoever was calling the shots had any sense, though, they went into File 13, unless the accompanying story was about a broken girl.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I printed your blog yesterday and read the entire thing. Good lord woman, you turn me on so. I literally laughed out loud while reading the first half of the “crabcake” entry. I wished that it had gone on and on … a book perhaps.

So you are married?
How did you know so many of the men at the black tie event?
How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

Lovely,
Max
maxstrokersf@yahoo.com

4:03 PM  
Blogger desert diamond said...

Dear Max,

I'm glad you enjoy the blog!
As for your questions, I think these best addressed in a medium more suited toward privacy. ;-)

MM

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home